The Commodity Classifications Standards Board (CCSB) has published a new supplement to the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC®). These changes became effective 04/10/2021. Some notable changes are listed below.
- Subjects 2 and 3 – Foodstuffs Group – Bakery Goods, Coffee, Tea or Herbal Tea, Cookies or Crackers, Foodstuffs, NOI, Snack Foods, NOI: These items were canceled and replaced with Item 73260 which is an 11-tiered density item. Canceled Items 72040, 72042, 72043, 72270, 72271, 72560, 72561, 72680, 72681, 73270, 74800.
– “Breads, Rolls and Cake” were removed from 73227 and moved into the new Item 73260.
- Subject 5 – Chemicals Group Item 42600: Numerous changes to this group that are too complex to re-state here. Basically, items were revised into three class Tiers based upon Packing Groups I, II or III. Statements also added identifying Items that are not required to bear a Hazard Class or Hazard Division label.
- Subject 7 – Stairs or Stairways, Ramps – Item 178160: Revised from a two-tiered class/density item to two sub-groups based on the Greatest dimension exceeding or not exceeding 96 inches. Each sub-group has three class/density tiers.
- Subject 15 – Glass, flat, bent or not bent NOI – Item 86700 nad Glass , silvered for Mirrors – Item 86900: Revised from two subgroups, three-tiered class/density item based on Greatest Dimension exceeding or not exceeding 96 inches to two subgroups based on Greatest dimension exceeding or not exceeding 96 inches. Each sub-group has seven class/density tiers. Item 86900 is canceled and moved into Item 86700.
- Subject 16 – Item 235 – Specifications for Bundles, Coils, Reels, or Rolls: Item amended to ensure that products or items so tendered will withstand the normal rigors of LTL transportation.
- Subject 17 – Item 270 – Definition or Specifications for Skids, other than Lift Truck: Item amended to ensure that products or items so tendered will withstand the normal rigors of LTL transportation.
- Subject 24 – Item 82285 Sneeze Guards or Food Shields: Revised from a two tiered Item based on Greatest Dimensions exceeding or not exceeding 96 inches to two subgroups based on Greatest Dimensions exceeding or not exceeding 96 inches with four class/ density tiers in each sub group.
- Subject 25: References to open head and closed head drums or pails in the Items below are updated.
– Rules 257, 258, 260, 296
– Packages 600 and 2467
- Subject 36: This subject cancels 55 obsolete Classification Items
- Subject 37: This subject cancels four obsolete classification Items.
- Subject 38: This subject cancels and removes references to 25 numbered packages.
- Subject 39: This subject cancels and removes references to 16 numbered packages.
- Subject 40 – Item 149942 Note on Nickel-Silver Wire Item 140940: This note 140942 applied to shipments of less than 30,000 lbs. It is canceled.
Additional detail is included in the DOCKET 2021-1 bulletin. As always, please contact us if you have any questions.